[News] More Open Source Partnerships Are Formed; Eclipse Reaches Out for the Web

Ingres, Wipro team on open source enterprise software

,----[ Quote ]
| Indian outsourcer Wipro is to develop open-source business software
| and offer system integration services around the open-source
| database from software vendor Ingres, which will be marketed
| jointly by the two companies.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070307/tc_infoworld/86604

Open-source Eclipse barrels down Ajax path

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eclipse Foundation, an open-source consortium, on Tuesday
| detailed three projects designed to make Ajax-style Web
| development easier.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6165148.html

Yesterday:

Teamprise Joins Eclipse Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Teamprise, provider of the popular suite of applications for accessing
| Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server from within Eclipse and
| on UNIX-based platforms, today announced that it has joined the Eclipse
| Foundation as an Add-In Provider.
`----

http://wldj.sys-con.com/read/345922_p.htm

Eclipse executive chides Microsoft on interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| Commenting on Microsoft, Milinkovich said Microsoft sends
| representatives to EclipseCon every year. Eclipse and Microsoft
| officials in attendance then agree that a meeting ought to be set
| up between the two sides. But afterward, "they never call,"
| Milinkovich said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070306/tc_infoworld/86590

Related:

Developers' use of open source Eclipse doubles

,----[ Quote ]
| The adoption rate of the open source Eclipse integrated development
| environment has more than doubled in the Europe, the Middle East and
| Africa region, industry analysts have revealed.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/12/12/220548/developers-use-of-open-source-eclipse-doubles.htm

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600515

Google joins Eclipse Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's Open Source Program Office (including Greg Stein, Chris
| DiBona, and Zaheda Bhorat) pulled the deal together between Google
| and the Eclipse Foundation in October.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=214

Five Years On: The Future of Eclipse

,----[ Quote ]
| Even IBM admits it didn't expect its Eclipse open source project for
| building enterprise Java tools would grow as fast as it did.
|
| [...]
|
| By January of 2004, Eclipse was re-organized as an open source
| foundation and an independent organization.

Eclipse Is Still Going Strong

,----[ Quote ]
| In the intervening years, the Eclipse open-source development
| platform has grown well beyond the IDE space, branching out into
| areas such as reporting, modeling, AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript
| and XML) development, SOA (service-oriented architecture) tooling,
| RCP (rich-client platform) technology, team development, and
| support for other languages beyond Java.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061107/tc_zd/193207

Eclipse: A Billion-Dollar Baby?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Historically enterprise software has been sold through [a]
| direct salesforce channel. ... We're starting to see success
| in open source software products in areas which have been
| traditionally the realm of the direct salesforce. Those
| environments or those products have very, very low cost of
| sales, so as customers get more used to that, I think that
| over time, there are going to be fewer and fewer software
| salesmen."

Eclipse Adoption on The Rise

,----[ Quote ]
`----