Re: Academics Call Disruptive Technology "Intellectual Fast Food"

On Mar 6, 9:51 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wikipedia, Academia Have a Love-Hate Relationship
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | University of Virginia English professor John Sullivan, who also
> | teaches courses in mass media and American culture, is skeptical
> | of Wikipedia. Sullivan compared the encyclopedia to the underlined
> | and highlighted sections of library books that students may flip to
> | instead of reading the entire book. "Are we living in a world
> | where we have intellectual fast food?" he asked.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/56096.html
>
> Conservapedia: Far Righter Than Wikipedia

More than one sweeping generalization in the anti-wikipedia
commentary.

We should all remember Galileo.  In his era, "authority" was not only
important in assimilating facts, it was actually MORE important, it
eclipsed facts themselves.  That's the essential problem of the anti-
wikipedia people -- vestigial medievalism.  And probably some
kickbacks from the publishing industry.

If Academia were wise, it would develop systems to...  Actually --
I'll be quiet here and withhold comment for the FIRST TIME.  I think
that'll be my spinoff company.  :-)