Re: Open Source facilitates German world-wide secure network

  • Subject: Re: Open Source facilitates German world-wide secure network
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:50:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Wednesday 07 March 2007 21:45 \__

> [...]
>>> trojan holes in windows to spy on those machines, would it?
>>> So, apart from the risk of the often crashing windows, they did not want
>>> to take *that* risk additionally without need
>>
>> Thank you, Peter.
>>
>> There are in fact many aspects of "MS Windows for all" that we never seem
>> touch on in this group, and I would certainly value your own comment.  I
>> am thinking OS, but the same comments apply to (for example) MS Office:-
>>
>> - It seems to me that it is most unwise to trust something as important as
>> ones entire IT capability to a single company.  The rule used to be "at
>> least two sources of supply, and one at least of those in *this* country".
>>
>> - It seems unwise that if one has a *single* supply, that supplier should
>> be
>> a foreign country.  It might be friendly now, but who knows?
>>
>> - In the case of MS OS (XP and Vista), and also it would appear, Office
>> and presumably anything else they choose, MS has demonstrated the
>> capability to
>> cause that S/W to cease to work.  e.g. if you don't register within 30
>> days, *all* that your system will be allowed to do is browse the 'net so
>> that you *can* register.
>> In the event of a more hostile situation coming about, there is
>> considerable scope for damaging non-American economies, or at least
>> threatening to do so!
>>
>> - As you suggest, there are always "back-doors", real or imagined.
>> If this is not the case and not possible, why was the Pentagon throwing
>> out PCs made in China on security grounds (BIOS!)?
>>
>> - What good does it do *any* non-U.S. country to use MS stuff?
>> By doing so, they relegate themselves to the role of "first line support",
>> in that all technical know-how, all code, all decisions, are vested in
>> Redmond, and those countries "jobs" in the industry become those of the
>> call centre.
>>
>> - MS insists on using proprietary formats, thereby holding to ransom the
>> very data of people using the products.  Open Formats change this, allow
>> competion, etc. but seem to be unacceptable to Redmond!
>>
>> - All money spent on MS stuff (apart from sales tax which goes to the
>> buying country, corporation tax which goes to Ireland, and the
>> "commission" for the sale) goes to the U.S.
>> It is an import, in fact, and has to be paid for to "buy back" the dollars
>> -
>> in cars, in services, or whatever.  By contrast, money spent as Munich are
>> doing is spent with local industry, increases the expertise of the locals,
>> benefits the local (German, in this case) economy.
>>
>> Do you disagree with any of this?:-)
>>

> No, not at all. This certainly was the reasoning for several of the linux
> projects started in germany in the last years
> Munich, which the idiot trolls in cola like to attack so much, was one of
> the latest projects started. And despite all their badmouthing, it is going

That's how it seems...

Munich mayor: Full speed ahead to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Although numerous other European cities are closely
| following the LiMux project, Hoegner is hesitant to
| estimate how many will ever take the leap and deploy
| open source on a large scale. "Politicians don't know
| enough about open source and are worried about making
| a mistake," he said. "Believe me, my head would have
| been on the block if things had backfired here."
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/24/HNmunichopensource_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/24/HNmunichopensource_1.html
http://tinyurl.com/yck48j

LiMux The Penguin: Deep into Munich?s Linux F/OSS migration

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/110606-munich-linux.html

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S