Re: [News] After Wasting £Billions, NHS to Ditch Microsoft's Partner?

> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 06 March 2007 11:08 \__

>>> iSoft in critical condition as NHS trusts seek alternatives
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/05/nhs_upgrade_alt/
>>
>> This whole farce is typical of the misguided perceptions within the
>> vertical markets, that you must pay some 1st tier vertical integrator to
>> provide a proprietary solution, rather than a 2nd tier solutions
>> provider using open standards.
>>
>> And the result?
>>
>> Cheap, poorly trained, sweat shop, foreign labour; creating half-baked
>> solutions that are delayed and simply don't work; thus depriving the
>> client of vital resources, their customers of vital services, and the
>> skilled indigenous workforce of employment.
>>
>> And all the while, the destructive force of globalisation keep marching.
>>
>> When will this institutionalised ignorance ever end?
>
> I did some maths later. A family of 4 pays $2000 for this failed project.

Which is bl**dy frustrating, when you consider that this is enough to
pay for an important (but routine) medical procedure.  To put it another
way, it has cost something like 15 million procedures.  How long were
those waiting lists again?  This is a criminal waste of taxpayer's cash.