[News] Farewell to Proprietary, Windows-based Voting Machines

Diebold Weighs Strategy for Voting Unit

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DIEBOLD_VOTING?SITE=WIRE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

| "Nineteen machines had 21 screen freezes or system crashes, producing a
| blue screen and messages about an "illegal operation" or a "fatal
| exception error."
|
| "Especially with this blue-screen problem, you don't know whether it's
| the printer drivers, you don't know whether it's Diebold's own code or
| whether it's Windows,"
`----

http://www.verifiedvotingfoundation.org/article.php?id=6257

Polling places turn to paper ballots after glitches

,----[ Quote ]
| Pennsylvania's Lebanon County also extended polling hours
| because a programming error forced some voters to
| cast paper ballots.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/07/voting.problems.ap/index.html

Would open source make elections fair?

,----[ Quote ]
| I will line up and use a Diebold voting machine, like everyone
| else in Georgia, and hope that the vote count is accurate. But
| that's all it will be, a hope. As last week's HBO special
| revealed the machines and (more important) the system is both
| closed-source and easy to hack.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=834

Diebold quietly repaired voting machines

,----[ Quote ]
| The unpredictable freezes don't cause votes to be lost, officials
| said, but they confuse voters and election judges who sometimes
| wonder whether votes cast on a frozen machine will be counted.
|
| [...]
|
| Diebold Election Systems quietly replaced flawed components in
| several thousand Maryland voting machines in 2005 to fix a
| "screen-freeze" problem the company had discovered three years
| earlier, according to published reports Thursday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061027/ap_on_hi_te/voting_machines

E-Voting Raises New Questions in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]