Re: [News] Linux Was Dell's Chance, and Dell Blew It

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Linux is Dell's big chance
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "What do you want?" Dell asked its users. "Linux on our desks and
>>| in our laps, please," they replied. "We hear you," said Dell, "but
>>| we don't want to disappoint you, so you can't have it just yet."
>>| Sadly, the users are disappointed anyway.
>> `----
>>
>> http://opinion.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002208,39286126,00.htm?r=2
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Dell 4Q Earnings Slide 33 Percent on Weak Laptop, Notebook Sales
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Dell Inc.'s fourth-quarter profits plunged 33 percent
>>| because of weak sales of laptops and notebooks, and the computer maker
>>| still faces an unresolved federal accounting probe, customer service
>>| complaints, several shareholder lawsuits and stiff competition from rivals.
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070302/earns_dell.html?.v=6
>>

>> Dell cocks a deaf ear to Linux at its online listening post
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The first was that senior personnel at Dell demanded keys to the
>>| darkened rooms that computer companies now maintain for executives
>>| suffering from panic attacks. These rooms are specially hardened
>>| to resist missives from Steve Ballmer, the combative CEO of
>>| Microsoft, who takes a dim view of open-source software.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| So now we know the value of crap. You read it here first.
>> `----
>>
>> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,2025848,00.html

Nope! Dell did business. They will come back to Linux sooner or later,
when they see profits behind preinstalling or supporting Linux.

--
spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew Halliwell: A blank PC is linux ready by default
bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx, B Gruff: Is that .PNG a shot of Linux or Windows?