Re: slivka:we have to do even more cloning of Netscape ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 17:34 \__

> From: Ben Slivka;
> Sent Tuesday, October 24 1995 10:18 PM
> To: Brad Silberberg (Xenix); John Ludqig; Chris Jones; Paul Maritz (Xenix)
> Cc: Thomas Reardon
> Subject: No Half Measures: How we should meet the Netscape Challenge
>
> After the billg Internet review today, here are my thoughts on the
> priorities for PSD and the rest of Microsoft .. I think we should have
> to do even more cloning (esp. LiveScript) of Netscape, and we have to
> focus on Win95 - not Nashville.
>
> ..
>
> 1. Clone their client technology early and often (full embrace strategy)
> 2. Add key Microsoft technologies to their client and target our tools
> at that client (full extend strategy)
>
> ..
>
> PSD: Internet Explorer 3.0 for Q1/96 releaser
>
> ..
>
> 2. Clone Netscape LiveScript: 2 SDEs can control OCs with LiveScript,
> get to market faster than waiting for VB (?)
>
> ..
>
> 13. Clone rest of Netscape Navigator 2.0 HTML enhancements: 1 SDE
>
> ..
>
> Why is Netscape  where they are today?
>
> 1. Filled a vacuum: no one else was developing a "high-quality" web
> browser.
>
> 4. Continued to lead with new features on a regular basis: LiveScript,
> Java, FrameSets, etc
>
> ..
>
> Where is Netscape going?
>
> ..
>
> 3. Render Windows itself irrelevant: Establish new platform
>
> http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_5735.pdf

The same ol' copying routine. Clone, then bundle or 'extend' to push away the
rival.

The Redmond Copying Machine?

,----[ Quote ]
| My recent video, which tweaked Microsoft for crowing about its
| "innovation" in Windows Vista (without acknowledging its huge debt
| to Mac OS X), triggered plenty of reaction. It probably comes as no
| surprise that your comments quickly devolved into "which is better"
| bickering, which will proably never end.
|
| [...]
|
| Then this e-mail message, which arrived today from a guy who says
| he worked as a Microsoft temp employee from 2003 to 2004. I've
| agreed not to publish his name.
|
| [...]
|
| "Around the corner was another grid, showing the RealPlayer
| application. This grid was the same: grid A1 was the front userv
| iew of the application, mirroring what was on the iTunes wall/grid.
|
| "Around the next corner was another grid, this one showing Windows
| Media Player version 9 !! This one was missing a few tiles in the
| grid, but you could actually see the progress as each feature [of
| iTunes and RealPlayer] was copied, square for square.
|
| "Amazing. New software is put out, a manager sees it and decides that the
| creative part of their day is making color screen captures of the
| software and presenting it to the copying--er, engineering team."
`----

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/12/18/the-redmond-copying-machine/

Related/context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNuq94Zg_8

In the case of VMWare, Windows licences are even used as a way of
disriminating against rivals. And since many people sign the EULA, VMWare
can't do much about it.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
  3:00am  up 40 days  3:18,  6 users,  load average: 1.03, 0.91, 0.87