Re: Microsoft's 'dirty tricks' archive turns into hot Torrent

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft's 'dirty tricks' archive turns into hot Torrent
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 02:30:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 26 February 2007 19:58 \__
>>
>>> My word:-
>>>
>>> "Microsoft lawyers who believed they'd buried the most embarrassing
>>> collection of documents about the company's murky past for good, without
>>> any one noticing, were in for a surprise this weekend. The archive has
>>> become a mainstay of the Bittorrent P2P file sharing networks."
>>>
>>> "A healthy 20+ seeds have been distributing the files for the past few
>>> days, at any one time."
>>>
>>> (big snip)
>>>
>>> "The material needs to find a home in a academic institution, which has the
>>> time to curate it, check for completeness, and put the material in context.
>>> And ideally this should be in a region beyond US jurisdiction - if there
>>> are any such places this side of Jupiter. (Perhaps the Gates Foundation can
>>> recommend somewhere)"
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/26/microsoft_archive_goes_torrent/
>> I have my share as well. I have taken a glimpse at a couple among thousands
>> of files, but the amount is really vast and it requires time for digestion.
>> Maybe the EU can make use of these exhibit. You know, a place that won't be
>> lured by some cash and then drop the charges...
>>
>> And that's what the Internet is about, isn't it? Reuse, sharing, and
>> transparecy. No wonder Microsoft embraces DRM with enthusiasm. It makes
>> knowledge expire.
>>

> Well, I've started the torrent down as well, so in due course I'll have
> a stack of rar files...

You'll need to fix the links in the html files, since they're all
absolute URLs, not relative.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.19-1.2288.fc5
 02:26:57 up 12 days, 13:52,  2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.00