Re: [NEWS] US vs EU: Microsoft

__/ [ Rafael ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 22:55 \__

> These two articles from Arstechnica seemingly have have counter
> positions with regard to government views.  I found the statement
> on open source interesting.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070302-8967.html
>
> | EU to Microsoft: Improve your offer or risk more fines
> | By Jeremy Reimer | Published: March 02, 2007 - 11:18AM CT
> |
> | The European Union has fired another salvo in their ongoing
> | battle with Microsoft over the documentation and licensing of
> | Windows' server protocols. The EU said in a statement that
> | Microsoft had failed to "supply satisfactory information at
> | reasonable prices," a requirement based on a 2004 antitrust
> | ruling.
>
> | In this latest battle, Microsoft has replied with a statement
> | of their own, claiming that the prices they are offering to
> | license these server protocols are "fair" and pointing to a
> | study by PriceWaterhouseCoopers that concluded that the prices
> | are 30 percent lower than "comparable technology." But is this
> | accurate? The study is not available on the PWC web site, nor
> | did Microsoft make it available for journalists to look at.
>
> | It's a little bit difficult to judge the accuracy of the study,
> | given Microsoft's dominant position in the marketplace and the
> | fact that its strongest competition in the server space is open
> | source and thus allows anyone to implement its protocols for
> | free.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061122-8276.html
>
> | US government: no antitrust concerns about Vista
> | By Nate Anderson | Published: November 22, 2006 - 04:21PM CT
> |
> | Vista and IE7 have received a clean bill of health from the
> | government team overseeing Microsoft's compliance with the US
> | antitrust ruling (PDF) against it.
>
> | They are also satisfied with Microsoft's progress on the
> | documentation, which has been a source of contention in Europe.
> | The Commission has complained multiple times about the
> | shoddiness of the protocol documentation, even threatening the
> | company with new fines if it did not produce better material.
>
> | The company has occasionally complained that the state of the
> | documentation has been due to the difficulty of finding
> | qualified people to write it?a claim scoffed at by those who
> | believe the world's largest software company would have no
> | trouble doing the same thing if it were making money at it.

Don't forget that Microsoft and the UG Government are on the same 'team' as
far as foreign politics are concerned.

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Swap:  1036184k total,   545752k used,   490432k free,   227540k cached