Re: A Tale of Two Installs

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 01:29 \__

> Bought new HP2330 Printer
> Attached via USB
>
> Booted to Suse
> Printer recognized
> Systems said "need to rebuild hardware database" and did so automatically
>
> Identified Printer as HP2300
> Launched config wizard
> No changes needed, continued and finished.
>
> Print worked fine with Open Office

That's rather disappointing. Ubuntu had my scanner working without any
configurations whatsoever. It must have done something while the CD was
rolling for 20 minutes (Linux installation). And XSane was already installed
along with the O/S.

> Booted same machine into XP
> Machine found new hardware
> Asked for CD (did not offer network option)
> Inserted CD
> When through wizard
> Printer Configured........Or so I thought!
>
> The next time I booted into Windows, it launched the new hardware found
> Wizard AGAIN and it AGAIN asked me for the CD!
>
> SHEEESH!!!

The loop could be worse.

Vista bug forces legit users to reactivate OS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011858&source=rss_news50

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie