Re: Vista activation cracked by brute force

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 02 March 2007 16:51 \__

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:50:04 +0000
>
> No, I don't condone it.

I alluded to this with just a link for exactly the same reason. Cracks
shouldn't receive exposure and the link that I found 2-3 days ago contained
the technical details on how to achieve this.

> Nevertheless, it's interesting, is it not?
> How *can* somebody like MS make something like this impossible to crack?
>
> - and what are the consequences of them not doing so?  The author
> postulates that by the time a Vista-buyer gets his Vista home, the key
> could already be in use, in which case the buyer is seen as the "pirate"!

I think it may be deliberate. It's like the crook in the garage who sabotages
something under the hood just before you hit the road. Sooner or later
you'll come back and pay some more. In the case of Microsoft, it's about
dependency.

> --------------------------
> IT LOOKS LIKE Microsoft's unhackable OS activation malware has been hacked.
>
> There is an active thread at the Keznews forums (account needed), and a
> summary on its main page about the crack.
>
> It is a simple brute force attack, dumb as a rock that just tries keys. If
> it gets one, you manually have to check it and try activation. Is is ugly,
> takes hours, is far from point and click, but it is said to work. I don't
> have any Vista installs because of the anti-user licensing so I have not
> tested it personally.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37941

Have a look at this:

http://appiant.typepad.com/security_today/images/TimerStop.jpg

Another bug. Could be fatal. Come to work, then be be locked out for who
knows how long...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
roy      pts/2                         Fri Mar  2 03:47   still logged in