Re: Translation needed

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 02 March 2007 23:04 \__

> It's not the language that I need translating, but rather the logic.
>
> Is the following contradictory, or am I losing my marbles, or both?
>
> -----------------------------------
> Despite widespread conceptions that Microsoft bullies computer
> manufacturers into offering only the Windows OS, Bernard Golden, CEO of
> open source strategy consulting firm Navica, insists that is not the case
> in today's world.
>
> "There are no contractual arrangements with Microsoft that preclude
> hardware manufacturers from selling machines loaded with non-Windows
> operating systems," Golden told LinuxInsider.
>
> At least that's the case currently. Many past OEM (original equipment
> manufacturer) contracts with Microsoft had forced hardware makers to pay
> Microsoft a licensing fee for Windows regardless of whether the machine
> shipped with Windows, another operating system or no OS at all, Golden
> explained. However, antitrust action brought by the U.S. Department of
> Justice killed that type of contract.
>
> Most computer makers avoid seeking buyers who want Linux preinstalled,
> Golden said, because of Microsoft's pricing structure for Windows. There is
> nothing that precludes Microsoft from aggressively pricing its products to
> avoid volume sales Email Marketing Software - Free Demo.
>
> "Manufacturers end up paying just as much in total for a smaller number of
> copies of Windows than it would if it shipped every machine with Windows,"
> Golden exclaimed.
>
> This has the effect of dissuading OEMs from pursuing non-Windows bundling
> deals. Similarly, having to pay for Windows installations one way or the
> other serves to dissuade computer manufacturers from spending the resources
> to investigate Linux.
>
> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56043.html

Gruff, you're a goldmine. Sorry about my duplicate. I'm not checking the NG
carefully as I go along, so it's only later that I realised you had found
the same parts of this article fascinating.

Not many 'expert' have the /guts/ to speak about these issues out in the
open. And when Rex talked about it last year, needless to say he was
attacked by the trolls (who seem to have gradually departed since).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Cpu(s):  21.7% user,   2.8% system,   0.9% nice,  74.6% idle