Re: [News] Vista Downloads Fail to Match Linux Web Downloads

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
<nospam@xxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:05:54 -0500
<nhzFh.93$X6.5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> [H]omer wrote:
>
>>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2098770,00.asp
>>
>> I was planning to watch "Shaun Of The Dead" later on, but I think the
>> above article already exceeds my quota of horror stories for the day.
>
> Did you hear the fun Kelsey Bjarnason had: "FC4 [Fedora Core 4] apparently
> decided that the expendable boot drive was not to be touched, and instead,
> yes, you guessed it, it nuked /home. Something like 13Gb of data on the
> drive, merrily nuked."
>
> Or this one, by our very own John Bailo: "For example, I've been wanting to
> do a Suse 10.1 System Update for a while.  It's always dangerous since in
> times past it's brought my system down."
>
> Or the thousands of faceless bozos placing their hopes on Linux/OSS to not
> let them down: http://www.google.com/search?q=Linux+failed+to+install
>
> There's your horror stories.

Exactly.  Linux is a disaster waiting to happen, unlike
the glowing reviews from all quarters about the hugely
successful release of Microsoft Windows Vista.

For example:

http://www.kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html

compares Vista favorably to a three-legged Bactrian camel.
(The camel was not available for comment as of this writing.)

states good and evolutionary, but not spectacular or revolutionary.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/17992/

calls it "uninspiring" and is seriously considering going Apple
after being a PC/Windows junkie for many years.

http://www.windley.com/archives/2007/01/detailed_windows_vista_review.shtml

summarizes his position by calling it late, [with] most of
the interesting features jettisoned, and the rest already
available in OSX or XP add-ons for months or more --
but you'll buy it anyway.

Such enthusiasm!  It's almost like they were looking forward
to being boiled on oil or something.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux makes one use one's mind.
Windows just messes with one's head.