Re: Interesting quote

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ lyttlec ] on Wednesday 28 February 2007 23:32 \__
>
>> John Bailo wrote:

>>> Here's another one:
>>>
>>> "Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us."
>>> Thomas Jefferson
>>>
>>> It was used in Richard Dawkins latest book "The God Delusion" but it
>>> could also be used in a book entitled the "Windows Delusion".
>> Very true. Can I expect the ad homenium attaches in this group to stop?
>> In the movie, MS was being cited as a bad example (along with Britney
>> and others). When writers start using you as a bad example and expect
>> the audience to understand, you are in trouble.
>
> Bear in mind, however, that no personal attack can be directed at a company,
> particularly if it has grown to be large and authoritative. Companies lose
> character when they outgrow the capacity of their head's keeping abreast of
> things. People have guilt and consciousness while groups do not; because
> they can always point their fingers at other members of the group.

A "personal" attack against a company would be an attack against the
people making up the company (its leaders and employees). In the movie,
the attack wasn't against MS, but against the users of MS products. It
was attacking the users both collectively and individually. I suggest
that MS needs to be concerned, not because they were attacked, but
because they were the bad example.