Re: [News] Microsoft's Dirty OEM Tactics Illegal in Europe

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 01 March 2007 07:45 \__

>> Windows refund - the next episode: Thoughts on a 2007 pan-European action
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Furthermore, the secret trade deals Microsoft made with the OEM's,
>> | which effectively make it impossible for / forbids OEMS to ship
>> | desk/laptops without Windows - are forbidden.
>> |
>> | Therefore, a new pan-European Windows refund action should be
>> | started. In this article, I will share my new insights on the legal
>> | aspect of this action, since there are a lot of new things I found
>> | out after the last article I wrote on the subject. After that, I'll
>> | show my plan to do something about it. In short, it reads: Call
>> | aunty Neelie and try to get rid of our almost criminal uncles Bill
>> | and Steve.
>> `----
>>
>> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/82291/index.html
>
> This is the crux of the matter:
>
> .----
> | Now, the 'evidence' we got, that Microsoft forces OEM's to only sell
> | desk/laptops with an OS, dates back from 2002. Nonetheless, we can
> | assume these clauses still exist in the agreements Microsoft makes
> | with the OEM's today. However, we can't find that out, since we
> | aren't able to read those agreements, because they contain 'secret
> | information', Microsoft will probably say. 'If Dell knows HP pays
> | less per Windows OEM license, they would be stupid to pay more, and
> | therefore the agreements are trade secrets, and part of our IP', I
> | already hear Microsoft say. Because of these assumed trade secrets,
> | they can throw in any dirty clauses into these agreements without
> | anyone knowing it.
> |
> | It's time this changes, and at least the Competition
> | Directorate-General should have insight in this agreements, to make
> | sure they are legal under European law.
> `----
>
> It is *more* than "time this changes". Companies hiding illegal activity
> behind secret agreements is like something from the days of prohibition.
> The Microsoft Mafia must be held to account.

Rex seems to have mentioned this before. I also read about this somewhere
that's reliable. Part of the contract says that if its details must not be
disclosed, or else the contract is broken. And yes... it's like the Matia.
Also, there was something in the contract with Compaq that forbade inclusion
of Netscape.

Notice the fact that Dell never ever say a thing about Microsoft's role in
this. I'm not thinking just about Linux... think OpenOffice as well.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Mem:    514480k total,   314600k used,   199880k free,    48736k buffers