[News] Almost a Thousand Computers in Venezuelan Institution Converted to Linux

Ubuntu takes advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I'm very proud to announce that another Venezuelan institution
| of the government, take our recommendation and then we deploy more of
| 700 HP PCs with Ubuntu and 150 IBM Laptops with Kubuntu.
`----

http://blog.blanco.net.ve/2007/03/ubuntu-takes-advantage.html

Microsoft is not worries because the PCs came with Windows preinstalled, so
no apparent (and perceived) market share was lost.

Recent:

The French Parliament switches to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| The French Parliament looks to be the next big Ubuntu switcher according to
| reports. Recently the Parliament produced an official government report
| that recommended the use of free software over proprietary software. The
| switch to free software is expected to provide a substantial savings to the
| tax-payers according to the government study.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/814

Free Ubuntu laptops for French students

,----[ Quote ]