[News] Software Prepared to Detect GPLv3 Violations

Black Duck floats GPL 3 safety line

,----[ Quote ]
| Unless altered, the DRM provision will be one of GPL 3's biggest
| "structural incompatibilities" with GPL 2, according to Leven.
| Another potential problem are the proposed patent determination
| provisions. "We don't yet know if this will be in the final
| version... [but] GPL 2 doesn't mention either," he said.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/03/19/gpl_black_duck/

Related:

Black Duck Gets $12M

,----[ Quote ]
| Black Duck Software, based in Waltham, Massachusetts, has closed on a
| $12 million financing round designed to expand its product line and
| distribution channels, the company announced Wednesday.
|
| [...]
|
| Founded in 2002, Black Duck makes software that helps corporations,
| governmental agencies and financiers sort through software licensing issue,
| primarily related to open-source software.
|
| [...]
|
| Mr. Levin said five-year-old Black Duck?s revenues stand at about $10
| million annually, but estimates that by 2009 the company's market
| opportunity will be a half billion dollars.
|
| "The open-source industry is growing tremendously," Mr. Levin said.
`----

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=21302&hed=Black+Duck+Gets+%2412M

Licence violations become easier to detect.

Related:

Open Source License Compliance

,----[ Quote ]
| With developers freely downloading potentially hundreds of
| open source components per week, with or without their
| employer's permission, an automated software compliance
| management solution is necessary to establish and managel
| icense compliance policies across the enterprise
`----

http://www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=8158

Squiz bows to GPL pressure

,----[ Quote ]
| Squiz's statement also claimed the GPL decision illustrated that the
| open source development model could be followed as a successful
| commercial strategy -- instead of the traditional development
| paradigm which requires source code to be kept private and sold for a fee.
|
| "Looking ahead, instead of licensing fees, we will continue to
| sell support services which include warranty, help-desk support
| and uptime guarantees to organisations that need this level of
| certainty, whilst other MySource Matrix users can choose to develop
| and support the product for themselves if that is what they prefer,"
| Squiz director and co-founder Steve Barker said.
|
| Squiz claims around 100 staff located throughout Australia, New
| Zealand and England.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Squiz_bows_to_GPL_pressure/0,130061733,339273081,00.htm?feed=rss
http://tinyurl.com/yhupvc

German GPL defender claims legal victory

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source programmer Harald Welte said Thursday he won a civil court
| case in Germany centered on the General Public License (GPL). The license
| governs many open-source projects and permits anyone to use software
| covered by it, but requires that companies incorporating GPL software
| make the underlying source code available.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6113453.html?part=rss&tag=6113453&subj=news

GPL, BSD, and NetBSD - why the GPL rocketed Linux to success

,----[ Quote ]
| So while the BSDs have lost energy every time a company gets involved,
| the GPL'ed programs gain every time a company gets involved. And that
| explains it all.
`----

http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2006/09/01/#gpl-bsd

gpl-violations.org project prevails in court case on GPL violation by D-Link

,----[ Quote ]
| D-Link Germany GmbH, a subsidiary of D-Link Corporation, Taiwan R.O.C.,
| distributed DSM-G600, a network attached storage (NAS) device which uses a
| Linux-based Operating System.  However, this distribution was incompliant
| with the GNU General Public License (GPL) which covers the Linux Kernel and
| many other software programs used in the product.
`----

http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html

GPL Successfully Defended in German Court

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/23/1655248

Wallace's Appeal Firmly Rejected - GPL Has Nothing to Fear [pdf]

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: "Just so you know, Daniel Wallace's appeal of the ruling
| against him in his pro se quest to overthrow the GPL on antitrust
| grounds, one of SCO's daydreams too, has been firmly rejected by
| the appeals court, as I knew it would be."
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/WallaceAppealRejected.pdf

The Devil In The Code: Vendors Vet For Open-Source Compliance

,----[ Quote ]
|  A pair of software companies, Black Duck Software and Palamida, aim to
| alleviate compliance headaches with applications that automatically vet
| code for open-source contributions.
|
| [...]
|
| Palamida won't disclose the size of its customer base, but Black Duck
| has attracted 200 customers plus investments from Intel Capital, Red
| Hat and SAP Ventures. Levin said demand is particularly strong for
| Black Duck's SMB-focused hosted service, which enables developers to
| essentially rent Black Duck's platform and check their code over the
| Web.
`----

http://www.channelweb.com/sections/allnews/article.jhtml?articleId=195200007&cid=ChannelWebNews

How GPL fits in with the future of antitrust regulation

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps when the court boldly declared that "the GPL and open-source
| software have nothing to fear from the antitrust laws," the justices
| could be heard singing the Dire Straits' song Money for Nothing
| under their breath--as people can use Linux for free to make money
| in their business ventures. (They only are precluded from charging
| for making derivative works.)
`----

http://news.com.com/How+GPL+fits+in+with+the+future+of+antitrust+regulation/2010-7344_3-6137894.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc
http://tinyurl.com/yfvdue

Copyright and Linux, GPL patent issues: part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| By allowing developers to copy code for compatibility or
| interoperability purposes, courts separate the value of
| creating new works from the value inherent in existing
| ones. Courts in other countries have recognized this type
| of adaptive work for many years. As discussed earlier,
| markets place a value on software based in part on its
| compatibility and interoperability and its adoption by
| previous consumers, and not just the aesthetic beauty of
| its source code expression or the relative effort of its
| developers.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;291094571;fp;2;fpid;3

You change the World 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| They even tried to bend it to somehow impose their control over
| it and make it their own, like Microsoft is trying to these days,
| but they fail because of another novelty, a "License 2.0" if you
| will (even though the license's new version is actually the third
| one), the GNU GPL legal shield being revised today in a true 2.0
| fashion, through an open and cooperative process.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/you_change_the_world_2_0

BT says 'enough' on GPL

,----[ Quote ]