Re: [News] New Ubuntu Linux User Very Satisfied; Ubuntu History in Pictures

  • Subject: Re: [News] New Ubuntu Linux User Very Satisfied; Ubuntu History in Pictures
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:38:19 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:28:25 GMT,
 Rudolph Hooker <root@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu impressions 5 days on
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Five days ago I installed linux for the first time in a
>> | decade.
>> |
>> | am I impressed? Hell yes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inane/2453
>>

> Did you read the hassle he had with it??
>
> [quote]
>
> ...so then I went through the whole process of rebooting, loading the
> bootstrap off the cd to see if anythere there could help, searching the
> web, and went through all sorts of things.
>
> I knew how to get to the console via the recovery, but couldn't work out
> what to do from there.
>
> I even joined a number of Ubuntu IRC channels to ask for help, (got
> completely ignored) however just before I gave up and went back to windows
> full time.

You are being disingenuous, implying that the author went back to
windows full time. Let's continue where you left off quoting shall we?

<quote>

however just before I gave up and went back to windows full time.

I discovered there was a ONE LINE COMMAND.

thats all, JUST ONE LINE!!!

all you linux gurus out there I'm sure will know it already, but maybe
one day this will help someone who was stuck like I was.
This line allows you to reconfigure X.

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and that brings up a reconfiguration wizard/tool.

ran through that, got X going again.

so then I chose to install the ATI drivers from the repository. followed
all the instructions to the letter....
except one towards the end, saying you need to restart.

so after messing around with a number of problems, I realised I needed
to reboot. did that,

ran glxinfo | grep rendering
and got a nice YES

so then I ran Wolfenstein ET (after patching etc.) and man does it run
well, I am getting a similar framerate on two cloned screens as i did on
a single screen through windows,

and I am running at a better quality.

the other problem is I keep getting kicked by Punk Buster after about 3
to 5 minutes for "GAME INTEGRITY VIOLATION"

what on earth that means I don't know.

But hey, at least I'm 3D Accelerated.

so now I am Happily running Ubuntu 6.10, without any further dramas.

I'll continue to learn. however now that I have a week of linux under my
belt, I'm going to jump in the deep end and get one of my other machines
up and running with a Ubuntu LAMP server.

</quote>

Don't worry, there's no charge for exposing your mendacious behaviour,
it's a joy.

"Human beings can always be counted on to assert with vigor
their God-given right to be stupid."
        -- Dean Koontz