Re: [News] AIDS Research, Powered by Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 16 March 2007 09:43 \__

>> Pharmacy system using Ubuntu to fight AIDS
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Written in Java and released under the GPL, iDART (intelligent
>>| Dispensing of Antiretroviral Treatment) is a pharmacy system
>>| designed for use at antiretroviral (ARV) pharmacies in the
>>| public health sector.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| 'iDART-in-a-box' runs on Ubuntu Linux, and includes a mid-range
>>| PC, a Zebra label printer, an HP DeskJet report printer, a
>>| barcode scanner, an uninterruptible power supply and a GSM
>>| modem. Hardware costs are approximately R10 000, and there
>>| are no software licensing costs.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1407
>>

> This is precisely how things will pan-out in the budget-limited sectors.
> The question for major companies is how much of their enormous wealth
> they can afford to waste on proprietary systems before the upcoming
> businesses with significantly lower cost-bases because they use open
> systems begin to take them apart.  My expectation is that by the time
> the traditional businesses realise the mistake they've made, it could
> well be too late to save them.

The smallest (and/or failing) businesses rarely have the Linux skills 'in
house', so to speak. Moreover, if they had any, the talent would have left
long before the ship sank. Linux skills are highly sought-after in today's
market and people who think ahead leave the MCSE in the ship that's got a
few holes.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Is it a stupid sig? Why yes it is!
 11:00am  up 4 days 19:03,  7 users,  load average: 1.24, 0.72, 0.79