Re: [News] Novell a "Strong Sell", Mixed Messages

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 15 March 2007 21:09 \__

http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/mar2007/pi20070314_025087.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_investing

>>> I wonder if Novell would be willing to hand openSuse to another party in
>>> a bid to make ammends as well as to protect the openSuse project.
>>
>> The domain freesuse was registered just a few days before the deal. Some
>> might still be thinking about forking... you know, rebrand the whole thing
>> and un-novellise it. Just like Unbreakbale and CentOS... make a branch of
>> this fine distro that is now bound to greedy execs and their foolish
>> agenda.
>>

> This whole thing is quite unsurprising, though - I refer readers to my
> long-ish article of some time ago describing how I believe the whole
> issue came about.  The bonuses paid to the senior execs from the
> Microsoft hand-out were so substantial that there is no way that they
> could make the same money from doing business, so they will continue to
> lie as Microsoft ask them to in order to get another such bonus next
> year.
>
> This serves Microsoft in a deeper way than I had imagined, though, which
> is that they get to kill SuSE in the process of doing what they are
> doing.  Presumably that Microsoft game-plan will be to go around to
> each commercial distributor in turn and attempt to buy-off the
> executives as they have done with Novell.  Still, the name Hovsepian
> will be synonymous with killing SuSE in the history books, just like
> McBride is synonymous with killing SCO.  Both with a /lot/ of investment
> from Microsoft in order to do so, though.
>
> The kiss of death for a linux distribution is clear, now, though - it is
> exactly that moment where a traditional software vendor takes control of
> it.  Look at this:
>
> 1. Corel Linux OS - Microsoft invested in Corel => distro dead
> 2. Caldera OpenLinux - SCO bought, Microsoft invested => distro
> dead
> 3. SuSE Linux - Novell bought, Microsoft invested => distro
> dead?
>
> So far, Red Hat have refused Microsoft's attentions, and none of the
> remaining distros have yet become powerful enough to gain the interest
> of Microsoft, /however/, I'm quite sure that their invest and destroy
> approach will be repeated with depressing regularity.

Could you turn this into a short stand-alone (context) essay and lend it to
BoycottNovell.com? Please?

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
  5:20am  up 4 days 13:23,  6 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.22, 0.48