[News] Microsoft's Virtualisation Technology Falls Behind, Snubs Linux

[But they are going to bundle it with the O/S, so who needs better
quality...]

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 lags behind competition

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft released its Virtual PC (VPC) 2007 virtualization software
| as freeware recently, and you definitely get what you pay for. VPC
| 2007 isn't Open Source, nor does it run on Linux. Linux isn't even
| mentioned as supported guest operating system, but since people
| have successfully run several Linux distributions through earlier
| versions of VPC, I decided to give it a go. After several hours
| of struggle, I found out why VPC 2007 doesn't claim to support
| Linux distros.
`----

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/10/0953255&from=rss

Related:

Friendly fire mixup: MS identifies Windows as Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| In what might be described as a "Friendly Fire" incident, Microsoft
| software has identified a copy of Windows as a hostile operating system
| - belonging to enemy Apple forces.
|
| The host software, Virtual PC 2007, promptly disabled the intruder.
|
| It's not the first time Microsoft has incorrectly identified its own
| software - and shot it down.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft seems to have enormous problems with old stuff in general. In the
| Comes anti-trust case, it emerged that two dozen libraries were shipping
| with Windows, for which Microsoft couldn't produce the source code.
|
| Maybe the dog ate it?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/09/friendly_fire_virtual_pc/

Ubuntu on Virtual PC 2007 - No way dude!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=273

,----[ Quote ]
| The restrictions on virtualization were discussed here a couple of
| months ago, but now the more people are waking up to the EULA restrictions.
|
| MS claims it is "necessary for security reasons" and that only the "most
| technically savvy users, or people in companies with tech support,
| probably could handle Vista in virtualization programs, while home users
| should be steered away."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_virtual_vista_2

A Software Maker Goes Up Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/24/technology/24soft.html?ex=1172898000&en=bbca645a927ef7f8&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
http://tinyurl.com/35jkur