Re: Microsoft partner with Lenovo on Windows Live services ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Wednesday 14 March 2007 18:50 \__

> 'Microsoft Corp. and Lenovo have inked a global agreement to pre-load
> Windows Live services on Lenovo
>  PCs sold worldwide including ThinkPad notebooks, ThinkCentre desktops and
>  Lenovo-branded PCs'
>
> 'Lenovo had included Google's search tool-bar program on some of its
> machines'
>
> 'Microsoft ended negotiations with Dell over a search partnership because
> Dell wanted too much money'
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=1101
>
> 'Last summer, Lenovo agreed to preload Novell Inc.'s SLED 10 (SUSE Linux
> Enterprise Desktop) on its ThinkPad T60p mobile workstation'
>
> 'Then, Lenovo started retreating, and hemming that they really didn't mean
> that they would offer it pre-installed'
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8312248169.html
>
> 'Lenovo recommends Windows Vista=3F Business for business computing'
>
> So, Lenovo drops their Linux excursion and Google is innovated off the
> desktop.

Some time ago I read that Microsoft also pursues a program whereby Office
gets preinstalled by some OEMs. Not OpenOffice of course. That would anger
the software vendor and change the terms of the secret contracts, making the
margins even worse.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
Tasks: 131 total,   1 running, 130 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie