Re: [News] Microsoft Quietly Patches Bug, But E-mails Are Gone Forever

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 14 March 2007 02:12 \__

> Microsoft quietly patches Windows Live OneCare to fix Outlook problems
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As noted by various Microsoft watchers, the OneCare-Outlook problems are
> | not new. A number of customers have been reporting "OneCare ate my
> | e-mail" problems since late January.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=316
>

> Earlier:
>
> Quote:
> ----------------------
> "I have just had a reply back from Devashish (Microsoft Product
> Support Services), who seems to suggest that this is not a bug but a
> feature," wrote a user tagged as Bestm80eva....
>
> One user on the support thread, however, had his own suggestion of how
> to fix the whole mess. "The answer to everyone's problem is to form a
> class-action group and sue Microsoft immediately for the damages that
> they have caused (as your e-mails have been permanently deleted I
> assure you), use the money you are almost guaranteed to win from this
> newest Microsoft fiasco, and buy a Mac," wrote Gozargozarian.
> -----------------
> End quote

Addendum: pay careful attention to the nature of this patching process
("quitely"). Microsoft is aware of the fact that many people out there lost
heaps of valuable mail, which could lead to devastating losses in business.
Many of them are not aware of it. Rather than being upfront and say "Look,
we screwed up. Please check the integrity of your mail and make backups
ASAP" they vainly decide to slip in a fast one.

The same goes for security patches. Many such patches are issued without
enough details. They hide their mistakes and sweep them under the carpet.
It's all promotional. It's a 'business decision'. Can you /trust/ this
company?

The last time Mary used the word "quietly" it was the following:

Microsoft raises support fees for Windows, Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft quietly raised last week its per-incident support prices
| across the board for Windows and Office.
|
| Support for Windows XP and Windows Vista now costs $59 per incident.
| Prior to the Vista launch, the per-incident support price for
| Windows was $39.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=242

Again, shouldn't the customer know this? The CIO deserves to know the change
(50% rise!) in cost when weighing alternatives like OOo, Google, and Linux.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/6                         Tue Mar 13 14:36 - 14:42  (00:06)