Re: [News] Crisis in Windows Live Territories?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft's Search Slugfest
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | On a Jan. 25 conference call discussing quarterly results, Microsoft
> | Chief Financial Officer Christopher Liddell expressed dissatisfaction
> | with the company's search engine growth. "We lost market share,"
> | said Liddell, referring to Nielsen//NetRatings and comScore reports.
> | "We are clearly not happy with that."
> |
> | Concerns over leadership of the division resurfaced in early March
> | with the reported departure of Christopher Payne, the corporate
> | vice-president in charge of Windows Live Search.
> `----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2007/tc20070312_924960.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

That isn't a hard one to work out, MS search simply doesn't do the job well.
All of my users have now switched their default search to google, simply
because if the answer is there google will find it, MS search is very
unlikely to find it.

> Microsoft profit on slide
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Some analysts are looking for any signs of improvement from
> | Microsoft's internet division, which continues to lose market
> | share in web search to Google.
> |
> | Microsoft's online services group saw revenue fall for the last
> | four quarters and posted a loss in the past three quarters while
> | it shifted to a new internet advertising platform and overhauled
> | the company's web properties.
> `----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21109542%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

The daft part of this is that MS, being first onboard each PC, had the
potential to win the most users. So being in a loss making arena can only
be because they are not doing a good job. Had Joe Smith turned on his new
pc, fired up MSN and enjoyed the experience, had he done a couple of
searches with MS as the default search engine and gotten his results, he
would have simply carried on using them.

He didn't get that, MS are losing this battle because they don't know how to
fight it.