Re: Live MEPIS with Beryl

On 2007-03-11, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> __/ [ Kier ] on Sunday 11 March 2007 17:35 \__
>
>> For the remainder, I was very impressed with this latest iteration of
>> MEPIS, and if it weren't for being satisfied with my current distro, I'd
>> very likely install it.
>
> Would you say it's a better choice than Kubuntu for most people? Their
> anatomy is very similar and I want to explore other KDE-based distros in the
> near future. Many people wish they could just experiment with so many
> distros the way you do, but it takes time and dedication. There's at least
> one program which sends its subscriber a Linux CD every week... sounds like
> fun!

Personally I'd choose Mepis over (K|N|X)Ubuntu. Of the ones I've
installed in that line, every one has had jerky moments and hesitations
for some odd reason. One time I killed Nautilus and it solved the
problem. The next time I had to kill something else (I forget what now)
to get things to smooth out. But each time I'd reboot, the problem
would be back. All I recall right offhand was I couldn't get rid of the
errant program without getting rid of dozens of other things I wanted
to keep. Since the errant program changed on me anyway, I doubt getting
rid of the odd one here or there would have solved anything.

I've never had the same problem with Mepis. Once I did have an instance
wherein an update caused the machine to fail at mounting drives,
recognizing anything on USB and sometimes fail to get the desktop. But
that's been a few years back. Nothing like that has happened since.
Plus the added advantage of it not becoming jerky at times.

That's *my* experience across several machines. I can't imagine
everybody has the same troubles or the Ubuntu line wouldn't be so
popular. I don't have difficulty out of the normal like that when
running it live, but only when installed.

--
Windows: So easy to admin, even a worm can do it.