Re: [News] 45.7 Million Credit and Debit Card Number Stolen Through Windows Malware?

__/ [ flyer ] on Saturday 31 March 2007 08:02 \__

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/29/tjx-companies-fraud-markets-equity-cx_mk_0329markets35.html?partner=yahootix
>> http://tinyurl.com/38tyyq
>>
>> Sounds like Windows. They have my details there as well.
>>

> More ammunition for a windows quarantine.

I'm telling you, this particular story is serious s**t. I saw it elsewhere
(BBC) beforehand, but it gave no technical details at all. I did some
Netcraft lookups, but no luck. Then I found this Forbes article, which
pretty much gives it all away. They stored just over a hundred large files
which contain sensitive details about tens of millions about (mainly
British) customers. A hijacker must have taken over the most holey O/S in
the world and voila! No he can trade 40+ million credit and debit card
accounts with him mates in Asia, Europe, and America. Who knows how much the
fraud is going to cost. One thing you can bet on is that /we/ are the ones
paying for it, whether it is money, time, or pain.

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

UK police 'not prioritising cybercrime', Microsoft says

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/uk_cybercrime_criticism/

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
Tasks: 123 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   7 zombie