Re: Old Windows Junk... New Linux Servers

  • Subject: Re: Old Windows Junk... New Linux Servers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:35:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Charlie Wilkes ] on Saturday 31 March 2007 05:03 \__

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:50:02 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:
>
>> I trash picked 5 old DELL OPTIPLEX GX50 this afternoon... All sport
>> 1.2ghz celeron processors and 512meg memory... They all work.
>>
>> "What's the problem?" you ask...
>>
>> The client say there were fine with windows 98se, but too slow with
>> windows XP and not upgradeable to Vista. Therefore... junk....
>>
>> By this time tomorrow, they'll be running Linux. First task, a GCC
>> compiling farm... Boy! This is going to be fun.
>
> I have the same disease.  It's cheap, but it takes up space.  I admire
> you for having found an answer to the hardest question: what to do with
> the stuff after it has been revitalized.

There used to be a Mac in the office that I no longer use, as well as another
old PC. To think that they were just sitting there while some schools
struggles to get equipment for children to surf the Web (or get more
computing, more frequently on the curriculum). Someone suggested that I give
the Mac to some school, but the issue is that the hardware belonged to my
employer. Then there was the time when I had like a dozen XP capable Dell
machines lying there in the office because, apparently ,there were no longer
capable of handling thesis-sized work in that WYSIWYG bloatware called
Microsoft Office. What a f**king waste. I tried to convince them to set up
dual boots and give people choice, but that remains only a choice in the
scientific departments. Hopefully that's about to change. Dell will even
preinstall Linux.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake