Re: Old Windows Junk... New Linux Servers

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:45:22 GMT, Charlie Wilkes <charlie_wilkes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I have noticed something else, as well.  People often think they need an
>upgrade when, in fact, it's their OS that has become a hopeless mess, and
>they don't have a clue how to fix it.

I've seen companies replace equipment as a knee-jerk response.  I had a hard
failure on my linux development box just before I went on vacation once.
So what did they do while I was away?  They replaced my windows box with
a $399 3.2ghz p4.  Nice'n'fast, but it didn't do much for my linux box.
I ended up scavaging the hard drive out of the old windows box to get the
linux box running again.  I'd given up trying to buy just a hard drive
through the corporate purchasing agent (after nearly 4 weeks)