Re: Die Novel, Die!

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 02:26:53 +0100
<4603940.sBmef02AXu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 29 March 2007 19:14 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Robt. Miller
>> <robtmil.killspam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:05:42 -0500
>> <slrnf0nasm.8b6.robtmil.killspam@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>>  It's a mixed up company.
>>>

>> And the source for this is ... ? ;-)
>>
>> (*Somebody* had to ask it.)
>
> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/01/07/novells-mixed-source-identity-crisis/
> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/01/02/more-on-novells-mixed-source-model/

I tip my hat in your general direction.  A useful response
to a question spoken partly in jest. :-)

Apparently there's something weird going on there; somebody
is making a distinction between OSS and FOSS.  While one
does have to make this distinction (until recently, the
JCP license for getting Java source was highly restrictive,
for example).  Stafford Masie, Novell South Africa Country Manager,
then wades into it:

   You know what we do, we license fonts. Yâ??know, you
   can go toâ?¦ thereâ??s several font sites, I could
   actually go to the sites now, where you license fonts,
   those true-type fonts, etc. you need to license those
   fonts because Microsoft does the exact same thing
   with Office, we license that into OpenOffice - our
   distribution of it, our derivative of it. So, thatâ??s
   something proprietary.

   Graphic rendering engines, there are certain ways things
   get rendered in Powerpoint documents, we take some of
   those graphic rendering engines and embed it into ours,
   because if a little animation does something silly in
   Powerpoint, we want it.to do that something silly in
   OpenOffice in exactly the same way.

   Then thereâ??s third party tools like Adobe- Adobe
   Reader, Real Player, Macromediaâ??s media little player,
   those things are proprietary, but you want them in
   your distribution, why? because when that user wants
   to open that Powerpoint file, play that animation,
   click on the link let the realplayer file play, go to a
   website and watch that flash show properlyâ?¦ you want
   all of those little pieces in there.

But I don't want to open that Powerpoint File.  I don't
*care* *what* format that file is; I want to open it and
view the resulting communications with a minimum of fuss
(and a minimum of worry about being infected, for that
matter).  Powerpoint, SVG, Web page, bitmap picture (if
necessary, but one can't capture text therefrom easily),
Office document, spreadsheet, ASCII text, movie clip --
open it, consume it, derive from it, use it.

Maybe that's why Microsoft in part works; the tool is hidden.
But they still need to be careful; just because it's named
.JPG doesn't mean it *is* one.

Novell does look a little mixed up. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/brain: Permission denied