[News] Five Reasons Why OEMs Should Preinstall GNU/Linux

5 Reasons why PC OEMs should offer Linux

,----[ Gist ]
| 1. Freedom of Choice.
| 2. It saves customers money.
| 3. It's an unserved market.
| 4. Your hardware gets more popular.
| 5. Current support options are sufficient.
`----

http://ariejan.net/2007/03/29/5-reasons-why-pc-oems-should-offer-linux/

Related:

Dell launches low-cost PC in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Another PC the company is offering at a special price runs Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| The company is also offering a slightly higher priced desktop, the
| Dell Dimension C51-n, with an Athlon64 3200 microprocessor from
| Advanced Micro Devices, a Linux OS, and a 17-inch LCD (liquid
| crystal display) monitor. The company is offering a special price
| on the system, 3,999 renminbi.
|
| The company does not say what version of Linux is on the PC. A
| Dell spokesperson could not be reached for comment.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/03/21/HNdelllowcostpcchina_1.html

Dell to Expand Linux Factory Installed Options

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell has heard you and we will expand our Linux support beyond our
| existing servers and Precision workstation line. Our first step in
| this effort is offering Linux pre-installed on select desktop and
| notebook systems. We will provide an update in the coming weeks
| that includes detailed information on which systems we will
| offer, our testing and certification efforts, and the Linux
| distribution(s) that will be available. The countdown begins today.
`----

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/ideastorm/ideasinaction?c=us&l=en&s=gen

More Hope for the Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]