Re: Moving workstation at work to Linux from Win XP Pro

  • Subject: Re: Moving workstation at work to Linux from Win XP Pro
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:47:28 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ noi ] on Tuesday 27 March 2007 19:38 \__

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 06:13:12 -0700, Alex wrote this:
>
>> Hey Everyone,
>>
>> In our IT shop we're basically 100% Microsoft, which stinks for me because
>> I'm a Linux and OSX guy.  My duties are primarily web programming, and
>> being I also do web programming at home on the side, I'm much more
>> comfortable using Linux (or any *nix for that matter) for coding then
>> Windows.
>>
>> So, I've got a new PC on the way at work, and I'm considering a move to
>> Linux on the workstation.  I still have to run a few Windows apps, like
>> Crystal Reports, MS SQL Enterprise Manager, and support our Sharepoint
>> system, but my thought is to run Windows in VMWare or Parallels and have
>> these apps reside there.
>>
>> My question to the groups... has anyone else became the only Linux guy in
>> their Windows IT shop?  If so, what caveats did you face?  We're running a
>> Windows network, but I don't think there'll be any problems connecting to
>> the domain.  Also, has anyone ran into problems running the more complex
>> apps (like Crystal or MS SQL Enterprise Manager) via VMWare or Parallels?
>> The system I'm getting is a Pentium dual-core 3.4Ghz, 3 Gigs/RAM, and
>> 240Gigs HD space.  This should be more then enough to run say Ubuntu Linux
>> plus Windows at once.
>>
>> Thanks for any feedback, suggestions, or stories from others who have gone
>> down this path...
>>
>> Alex
>

> It's company equipment and intellectual property.   Unless you have
> permission from company bosses and sys admin don't bother with it.
>
> Company pays you to program web pages, not to f*ck with their computers.

How does the use of different software a form of sabotage? Different people
have different preferences that makes them more happy and productive. Only
HP/Compaq would assume Linux can void one's warrantee and your language
appears to suggest that you just want to create and sustain the myths.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
Tasks: 111 total,   1 running, 107 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie