Re: Is XP now discontinued?

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Tuesday 27 March 2007 11:08 \__

> Asked by a friend about a new desktop PC for his club.
> Started with Dell UK - whatever he gets, Dell is perhaps a good starting
> point, just to see what's on offer for how much.
>
> He specified XP - he knows that the S/W (apps) they have runs on it.
> He has nothing against MS, but just doesn't want to know about a new OS for
> at least a year - as he said, "Let somebody else work out the bugs".
>
> There's plenty for him to consider on the UK Dell site, but I've not yet
> seen one that meets the XP criterion!
>
> I read what you guys have been writing about Vista sales being so high...
>
> ... I read what amicus_whatsit said about people *choosing* Vista...
>
> .... but I think I now see what's going on.  There isn't an XP anymore?

I hope not. Linux will come to more people's rescue if that turns out to be
the case. Bear in mind that many people's hardware and peripherals are
becoming obsolete, so it's a case of:

* Buy new stuff to replace it

OR

* Make your next upgrade cycle one that involves OS X... oh wait, that
requires new hardware as well... Linux is already here... and it doesn't
require a new PC... and being free, it ensures that there are no schemes to
force you to buy anything.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/2                         Sun Mar 25 07:18   still logged in