Re: [News] $100 Laptop Gets Hardware Upgrade

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:12:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> OLPC to get speedier hardware upgrades?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | According to Vulnerable Minds, the One Laptop Per Child panel at
> | Shmooncon announced that the machine would now sport a 433MHz AMD
> | Geode LS-500 processor (up from 366MHz), 256MB of system RAM (up
> | from 128MB), and a 1GB NAND drive (up from 512MB). The CPU is of
> | the .13-micron variety and only draws 0.08-watts, and it'll also
> | sport the obligatory 7.5-inch sunlight capable display, 1,200 x
> | 900 monochrome / 692 x 520 color resolutions, 802.11b/g, and
> | interestingly, the draft version of "802.11s ESS mesh networking"
> | will also be supported.
> `----
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/25/olpc-to-get-speedier-hardware-upgrades/
>
> The only danger here is that it's almost becoming Windows capable.

Maybe Win2k, but certainly NOT Vista.

It was very kind of Microsoft to ensure that only the latest and greatest
get anything out of Vista and hence they have made themselves a niche
player. Even they are bemoaning the loss of digital rights as a result
of Vista. This will ensure that more and more people move to Linux.

Such a move can only be good for the Internet as a whole. I'd like to stop
seeing a good chunk of the bandwidth from my ISP being taken up by
Windows malware spewage and Zombie mail.

Ian