Re: [News] Open Source = Hidden Growth

news:1497416.8WYK9PCW4k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Open access and open source intersect in Public Knowledge Project
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Like most open source projects, PKP keeps no formal record of users.
> | However, Smecher estimates that Open Journal Systems alone has more
> | than a thousand installations worldwide.
> `----
>
> http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/feature/22213
>
> It is no surprise that Open Source projects which are downloaded millions
> of
> times cannot count their users. The same rules apply to Linux.

It seems to me that the Open Access Project could just as well be named
Kazaa.  It is intended to allow cost-free viewing of materials that are
doubtless copyrighted.  If the materials are not protected otherwise, then
this is kind of a ho-hum idea.

> Related:
>
> Too late to discredit open source, advocates say
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "It's too late," exclaimed Winston Damarillo, founder and
> | chairman of software development firm Exist Global, in an
> | interview with Computerworld Philippines. "Open source
> | is all over the place."
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Anson Uy, president of Touch Solutions (a Red Hat Linux company),
> | earlier on broke the news to Computerworld Philippines about the
> | alleged "funded missions" by some software firms to discredit open
> | source, although he did not identify any company.
> |
> | Anson revealed among the top three actions against FOSS are being
> | done through "sponsored studies, piracy of open source developers,
> | and bold press releases."
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/030607-too-late-to-discredit-open.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
> http://tinyurl.com/2bj969

You don't seem to get the picture.  No one cares about FOSS per se.  Sample
code and freeware has been around for decades and if it is any good, GPL
code is just another source of information on how to do something. There is
very little FOSS code that could generate any income for anyone who wanted
to promote a product generated by use of it, so why not give it away anyway?