Re: [News] CBS Says Linux Switch is Painless; Ubuntu 7.04 Beta Released

__/ [ John Locke ] on Saturday 24 March 2007 17:17 \__

> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:21:19 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Adopting Ubuntu
>>
>>,----[ Summary ]
>>| Linux switch can be painless, free
>>`----
>>
>>http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/tech/linux.html
>>
> I've installed Ubuntu on a friends PC, my brother-in-laws PC
> and on my mother's PC. The installs all went on very well.
> These are not technical people and they are doing very well
> with Linux.
>
> I also have installed Ubuntu on my HP laptop and on  a desktop
> PC  (AMD 1.2 GHz cpu, 512 mb memory) which runs 24 hours a day
> and is networked in with my XP machines. No viruses, no spyware, no
> reboots...what a blessing. My wife loves it to death. She has
> discovered the Synaptic Package Manager and is having fun finding
> the software she wants. She says "stay away from my PC".
>
> I've cobbled together another old machine and will be loading
> Ubuntu 7.04 beta on that. This will also be my test machine as I
> can no longer tinker with my wife's Ubuntu machine.
>
> Ubuntu IS painless to install and use.
>
> A big thankyou to the hard working Linux develpoers for creating
> operating systems that really are "operating systems" !

It sounds as though you are using the same CDs to install multiple instances
of the software. Is the BSA aware of this? Or as B Gruff would say, is it
possible that the scale of Linux adoption is grossly underestimated?

I only installed Ubuntu 4.04 (on two PCs) and 5.10 (on a friend's PC) and it
was painless. I never got my hand on later versions. Even that very old
version (2004) worked splendidly out of the box. No intervention needed
(apart from those prompts for username, password, et cetera).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted
         run-level 5  Mar 11 15:57                   last=S