Re: [News] Medical System Dumps Windows, Uses Linux Instead

Paul Hovnanian P.E. <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Hadron Quark wrote:
>>
>> "Paul Hovnanian P.E." <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > Someone with a Microsoft EULA can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
>> > think the license allows Windows to be used in any life safety
>> > applications.
>>
>> What is a life safety application?
>>
>> Would this be, for instance, a router mapper? Or a cookery program? I
>> can see how dodgy advice in either could lead to death ....
>
> Good question. Windows running apparatus controlling heart/lung machines
> would definitely be out. But what about a system for which a failure in
> the form of corrupted data could result in misdiagnosis or an incorrect
> procedure being performed?
>
> I guess its up to the lawyers. Its perfectly OK with Microsoft if you
> run your entire hospital IT system on Windows. But when someone dies as
> a result of a data screw-up, such a nebulous and poorly defined
> statement is a CYA move.

Well, if you consider chaos physics for a moment, then it would suggest
that Microsoft Windows is not licensed for use for anything, since
almost any action at any point /could/ lead, however indirectly, to
someone's death.