Re: [News] Easy-to-Use Linux PBX Coming; Free Software Everywhere Inevitable?

BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-digiumr-preps-award-winning-open-source-asterisknowtm-software-/2007/03/21/2433500.htm
>>>>

>>> On my wish list for home phones are:-
>>>
>>> 1. A shared telephone book, so you don't have to go hunting for the hand
>>> set that has the person's number on that you want to call.
>>
>> Politics wont allow that to happen. Individuals with their own home
>> phones in their rooms dont want their number given to anyone in the house.
>>
>>> 2. I want displays that you can read. These diddy little 9x2 LCDs may
>>> look alright in a brightly lit up shop, but in the home they are rubbish,
>>> the menus on those displays are rubbish too, so forget the added features
>>> because you can't find them to use them anyway.
>>
>> I can. Shrug. Glasses?
>>

>>> 3. And I want a phone hand set that comes to find me when they is a call
>>> instead of the other way round.
>>
>> LOL. Bluetooth earpiece?
>>

>>> Skype gives me all but one of those things on my list. The only down side
>>> to skype at the moment is carrying the PC, monitor mouse and keyboard
>>> everywhere I go.
>>
>> Laptop!
>>

>>> My phone bill is pennies now, except for the Internet connection. Skype
>>> is my home phone and my mobile belongs to work so they pay that one.
>>
>> i cant quite bring myself to move to Skype. Too many things go wrong on
>> the web.
>

> Occasionally I get speed related problems with skype, it seems to be getting
> more rare, though that might only be because I have learnt when the best
> times to use it are. Then they was what seemed quite a long period where
> every other call was fairly distorted, that one wasn't really related to
> busy web times, but it has cleared up, must be a month or so since I had
> one of those.

You cannot do proper streaming on IP - it can never be realiable, so
there will always be problems.  The solution is PBB-TE (see the
wikipedia entry for more).

> I don't think I would trust it as an emergency services phone, so I do have
> to hang on to the other phone too. Actually, I don't think I have seen
> emergency services mentioned in relation to skype except a long time ago I
> got an email advising against using it that way.

You can't use it for 119 calls because there is no way of knowing where
you are, so there is no way of routeing the call to the proper emergency
services centre.

> But other wise I'm really pleased with it, even if at first you only use it
> for outgoing just until you trust it it is worth having a go, or go for one
> of the commercial versions that ensure your particular comms are secure.

It works, in the main, very well, but it is completely proprietary, and
the off-net calls are relatively expensive compared with a normal
land-line.

> The problem with selecting a VoIP is that you want one that most people will
> join, otherwise you lose the 'free' calls side. The marriage between VoIP
> vendors isn't good at all. But Yahoo and Aol are apparently joining Skype.
> BT have one as well, but I hate dealing with BT, the sooner I can be shot
> of them the better.

BT can be a pain to deal with, it's true, but they are much less
expensive than Skype for off-net calls.