[News] Beryl and Compiz Will Merge (Unification, No More Fragmentation/Branching/Forking)

[beryl-dev] Merge On (details still to be decided)

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I've read all the arguments, and I think I may have been being overly
| cautious.  It is indeed a concern that we might lose our freedom in
| a 'merge', but I have been convinced that it isn't a major concern (and of
| course we reserve the right to re-fork).
|
| We do indeed need to choose a third, new name in a merge, and of course
| (again) rename the beryl-named components, for the obvious reasons.
`----

http://lists.beryl-project.org/pipermail/beryl-dev/2007-March/000356.html

Related:

[compiz] update on xdevconf07 and beryl situation

,----[ Quote ]
| I had the chance to talk to Quinn Storm from the beryl project during
| xdevconf. I would have hoped that the current situation with beryl could
| be improved but it seems like Quinn at least isn't interested in that.
| However, after talking to Quinn it's very clear to me that the fork was
| partially motivated by assumptions that were wrong.
|
| One assumption is that compiz is some kind of Novell controlled project
| that Novell will move in whatever direction it wants. This is completely
| wrong. I started the project and no one at Novell has ever told me in
| which direction it should go.
|
| [...]
|
| Beryl includes temporary solutions and workarounds that paper over
| issues in the overall infrastructure. I've been very unwilling to
| include such things in compiz as I believe that it hurts the open source
| desktop as it hides the real issues and I don't want to do that for my
| own projects benefit. Helping other projects by fixing issues where they
| should be fixed is how we make the open source desktop unbeatable.
| Temporary solutions can be maintained outside the official tree or in
| branches for those who need them.
`----

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2007-February/001413.html

Compiz 0.3.6 released

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE users can now use kde-window-decorator instead of gtk-window-decorator
| to have KDE window decorations
`----

http://forum.go-compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=331

Beryl 0.2.0 RC1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
|  Major Changes from 0.1.5:
|
|     * Window Thumbnail Plugin
|     * Group With Tabs Plugin
|     * Ring Switcher
|     * Better Placement Algorithms
|     * Better Multihead Support
|     * Snapping Windows without Wobbly
|     * Show Desktop has been replaced with Fade Desktop
|     * Easier to use Configuration Frontend
|     * 3D Animation Effects
|     * Support Jpeg Image Format
|     * Focus Stealing Prevention Work
|     * Better Memory Usage
|     * many many smaller things...
`----

http://www.beryl-project.org/news.php

Video demos:

Another Beryl 0.1.3 Video

,----[ Quote ]
| Magic Fire, Transparency, Wobbly Windows, 3D Cube, Transparent Cube,
| Skydome, 3D Windows and stuff like it...
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6BiKnLzck&NR

Cool New Beryl Feature: Ring Window Switcher

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest svn release of Beryl sports a cool new ring window switcher.
| You can find it under Beryl Settings Manager -> Window Managemn ->
| Ring Window Switcher.
`----

http://justanothertechblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/cool-new-beryl-feature-ring-window.html

Beryl's new 3D animations!

,----[ Quote ]
| "How cool are they?"
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEDtRV1fHoU

Cool new Beryl Feature: Window Thumbnails

,----[ Quote ]
| When you hover over an application in the taskbar, it will show
| you a LIVE preview of that window. You can set delay, and the size
| of the thumbnail in the Beryl settings manager: Beryl Settings
| Manager -> Extras -> Window thumbnails.
`----

http://justanothertechblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/cool-new-beryl-feature-window.html

Older: