Re: [News] Symantec tells world that Windows is most secure OS

  • Subject: Re: [News] Symantec tells world that Windows is most secure OS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:08:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ NoStop ] on Friday 23 March 2007 23:04 \__

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> This just in from the "I must have wandered through a
>> doorway into an alternate universe while not looking"
>> Department:
>>
>>March 21, 2007
>>Surprise, Microsoft Listed as Most Secure OS
>>By Andy Patrizio
>>
>>UPDATED: Microsoft is frequently dinged for
>>having insecure products, with security holes and
>>vulnerabilities. But Symantec (Quote), no friend of
>>Microsoft,
>
> And certainly "no friend" of Linux, as we don't need any of Symantec's
> crapware.

This was BS, based on Microsoft's figures.

FUD: Windows is "most secure OS"

,----[ Quote ]
| Andy Patrizio has an incredibly sloppy story entitled "Surprise,
| Microsoft Listed as Most Secure OS" at internetnews.com, which
| purports to summarize the recently released Symantec Internet
| Security Thread Report Volume XI. But if you look closely at
| the actual report (PDF), you'll see that this claim that Windows
| is "Most Secure" is based merely on Microsoft's relative speediness
| in patching security holes.
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/22/fud-windows-is-most-secure-os/

Bear in mind that Symantec's CEO slammed Windows for security and said he was
switching to Apple.

Also see:

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

,----[ Quote ]
| True to UNIX.
| Qualitative score: Windows gets a D+ while Linux gets an A-.
| "Bummer of a birthmark"
| Qualitative score: Windows gets an F while Linux gets an A.
| User data confidentiality.
| Qualitative score: Windows gets a B- while Linux gets a B+.
| Patch practices
| Qualitative score: Windows gets an A- while Linux gets a B+.
`----

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3665801

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS
| uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
| efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
| this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
| security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
| Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.

Security Report: Windows vs Linux

,----[Executive summary ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
 11:05pm  up 12 days  7:08,  6 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.29, 0.17