Re: Red Hat Keeps Growing Despite Pressure

On Mar 22, 11:15 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Red Hat: Surviving Competition, Displaying Growth
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There has been no real major expansion of Oracle Linux, while Red
> | Hat has survived competition and displayed growth.

The Linux market is huge.  The market for databases is large, but much
more matured and established.
Perhaps, soon, Oracle will have a "cluster database" solution that can
concurrently search a few hundred Linux servers in an optimal way.
J2EE does provide functionality similar to this using persistent CORBA
objects.

Meanwhile, HP and IBM still use Blade Arrays of 128 quad-core blades
to large fast storage arrays managed by the operating systems.

> | 415 Group analyst Raven Zachery commented on Oracle saying, "We
> | haven't seen any announcements about customer wins. That's very telling."
> `----
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070322/30346_id.html?.v=1

My guess is that we will mostly be seeing these as Oracle "solution"
wins, not as "Linux" wins.  For Oracle, the profits are in the
database, not the Linux operating system.  Ironically, even then, the
bigger profits are in the support contracts rather than the software
royalties.

> JBoss evolves under Red Hat to include Ajax tools
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In March, Red Hat formed an alliance with Ajax tools supplier Exadel
> | to offer open source, Eclipse-based developer tools for building
> | applications with JBoss and Red Hat Linux. Red Hat explained that
> | it wanted to focus on developing new applications rather than
> | migrating existing installations to enterprise Linux.
> `----
> http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/03/20/222561/jboss-evolve...http://tinyurl.com/yv98e5

The interesting thing is that this approach has actually done good
things for J2EE and AJAX in general.  The whole 2nd generation Web,
aka Web 2.0 seems to be hotter than ever.  Bad news for Microsoft.
Good news for everybody else.