[News] Free Open Source Databases Appear to Be Taking Over

MySQL Piggy-Backs Open Source, Dominates DB Use

,----[ Quote ]
| To start with, developer database use is up 32% from two years
| prior, bringing total usage to 40%. Growing adoption of the LAMP
| stack (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) also makes a large contribution.
| And Evans notes that as open source solutions -- already dominating
| at 65% use in North America alone as of Fall '06 - increase in
| popularity, the preference for MySQL will keep on following suit.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/industry-news/mysql-piggybacks-open-source-dominates-db-use-001152.php

Related:

MySQL prepares for IPO and reveals Oracle endorsement

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are planning to go public," Mickos told Computer Business
| Review in an exclusive interview, adding that the Uppsala,
| Sweden-based database management vendor is in no hurry to go
| public after raising $18.5m in Series C funding this time
| last year and $39m in total.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=26F5F8B6-8CC6-4529-8DE7-65732FA84347

'MySQL, Linux powers Web 2.0' - O'Reilly

,----[ Quote ]
| Without Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP many Web 2.0 companies would not
| exist today. This is according to Tim O'Reilly, CEO of O'Reilly Media and
| the person most often credited for coining the term Web 2.0.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1125

Great Linux Joins Hands with MySQL

http://storage.ittoolbox.com/news/display.asp?i=148211&t=6