[News] Motorola Changes Linux Provider for Its Phones, to Acquire Palm Tomorrow?

Motorola Replaces Bitfone with Red Bend Client for FOTA

,----[ Quote ]
| The Waltham, Massachusetts-based developer of FOTA technology has
| unveiled a global contract to provide Motorola with its vCurrent
| Mobile client for bundling onto "select Motorola mobile devices --
| including a number of handsets based on Motorola's Linux-Java
| software platform" in order for firmware updates to be sent to
| them by the manufacturer itself and by its mobile operator customers.
`----

http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=E79369E9-8F32-4026-86D7-5C45885A798D

Some article stated that Motorola is likely to be the company to acquire
Palm. Motorola already has a stern Linux strategy.

Related:

Motorola E690 PDA phone with Linux on board

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems that they are returning to the penguin with their next
| offering, the E690 PDA phone. Naturally, it rocks quite the slim
| profile (what else would you expect given the relative popularity
| of the Q and the RAZR); in fact, its styling is eerily reminiscent
| of the SLVR L7, less the numpad.
`----

http://www.htlounge.net/articles/1813/1/Motorola-E690-PDA-phone-with-Linux-on-board-

Motorola Initiates Industry-wide Project to Create Open Source High
Availability Operating Environment Based on Service Availability Forum
Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola, Inc. today announced it is initiating a new open source
| project to develop a complete high availability operating
| environment based on Service Availability Forum(TM) (SA Forum)
| standards.
|
| ... Combined with ATCA based hardware and a Carrier Grade Linux operating
| system, OpenSAF provides a key high-availability component to complete a
| full carrier grade commercial-off-the-shelf solution.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070228/cgw014.html?.v=88

Motorola touts new Linux/Java phone platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola is showcasing its Linux and "kJava" based music phone for
| U.S. and European markets, at the 3GSM World Congress this week
| in Barcelona. The MotoRIZR Z6 is said to be based on a "new Linux
| operating system that incorporates kJava."

Motorola Announces New 10Gbps AdvancedTCA Communications Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Centellis 4000 will include support for Wind River® Platform for
| Network Equipment, Linux Edition and MontaVista Linux Carrier
| Grade Edition, offering customers choice as well as demonstrating
| the flexibility of its open systems. The Centellis 4000 platform
| and associated 10G Blades are designed for Communications
| Platforms Trade Alliance (CP-TA) compliance.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Hardware/Motorola_Announces_New_10Gbps_AdvancedTCA_Communications_Servers
http://tinyurl.com/2jg6o5

64 million smart phones shipped

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux devices represented over 90 per cent of the 1.5 million phones
| Motorola shipped in Q4, while three quarters of both RIM and Palm's
| shipments were in North America.

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/

Shifting Gears at Motorola

,----[ Quote ]
| To address a steep drop in profits, CEO Ed Zander is cutting jobs and
| betting on an open-source software platform for smarter phones
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2007/tc20070119_186156.htm

Motorola makes Linux breakthrough with RIZR Z6

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola's first Linux handset for the US market, the RIZR Z6, is
| also likely to be the first in the industry to run an "open"
| operating system - Linux, Symbian OS or Windows on a single-
| rather than dual-processor architecture.
|
| This shows that Linux is making significant improvements in its
| suitability to be an operating system for mobile devices, and
| could give Motorola a significant headstart in the battle to
| create low power, low cost smartphones.
|
| [...]
|
| The RIZR Z6, demonstrated at the CES show and expected to ship by
| mid year, is said to be based on Freescale's i.MX31 system-on-chip,
| one of the first to use the ARM11 core. Motorola will also add a
| new, faster Linux user interface, called JUIX (pronounced "juice").
|
| As Linux becomes more mainstream in cellphones, many players are
| seeking to address its user interface shortcomings, notably Nokia,
| which has become a Linux convert of late, and Access, the Japanese
| browser maker that acquired Palmsource and is adapting the
| well-liked Palm UI for mobile Linux.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/19/motorola_linux_phone/

Review: Motorola ROKR E2 Music Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusion
|
| I am really happy with the Motorola ROKR E2. I like its funky looks
| and I certainly love the new UI. I am glad that Motorola is finally
| shaping up and realizing all the shortcomings of its previous aging UI.
`----

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=1&Id=2983

Motorola Begins Bringing Linux To Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola today announced two upgraded devices it hopes will bring
| Linux into the hands of mainstream users - even in the US.
`----

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=2021

Motorola A910 Linux Phone Gets FCC Approval

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/motorola_a910_linux_phone_gets_fcc_approval.html
http://tinyurl.com/y5whve