Re: [News] Yahoo Among the Few That Took Oracle's Linux Support

BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

<snip>
> I do agree with what you say, I really don't know how well Oracle will
> perform with Linux support.

They have the resources, experience and internal processes to do a good
job of it.  So far, they probably haven't much expertise, but I'm sure
that will be addressed over time.

> All I can go by is their history in other areas in my own experience, their
> support has always been expensive but extremely good compared with
> companies in the same arena, in the past dealings with them I didn't deal
> with morons who read notes off a screen, if you needed an expert you got an
> expert, you didn't have to ask, their staff were well trained they knew
> what was an emergency and what wasn't.

<snip>

Fair enough.

> Redhet definately don't cover in anything like the same way as Oracle can,
> ok so in these mirrored days emergencies such as the one mentioned above
> are unlikely to happen, but what about the related equipment, Redhat has no
> interest in your communications racks. So you would have at least two
> contracts to cover the same area as Oracle can cover.
>
> Oracle have always been the sort of company to push their prices up to a
> max, but if you argued there was always room for negotiation. But they
> could skin you a bit because once you had experienced their support you
> would have been willing to pay anything just to have that safety net under
> you.
>
> Can Oracle do all this for Linux? I don't really know, I haven't seen what
> prices they intend to charge, I suspect that being less than Redhat's then
> they are stages involved to get the sort of over all cover I am talking
> about, but I for one think they should be given a fair chance.

The new part of the business model for Oracle is that customers can walk
readily, there isn't the degree of lock-in which was previously present
on their database-only products.  Can they be successful when their
customers can walk?  Time will tell.

> I also think that Oracle should send me a full version of Oracle database
> for my personal use by way of a thankyou, could you send it to me ready
> installed on a Sun Fire X4500, ta.

Hehe - let us know if you get it :-)