[News] Linux in India Benefits from Improved Localisation

Open Source Computing in Indian languages

,----[ Quote ]
| So far Indian languages have received a rather step-motherly treatment
| in computing - a field created largely for the 26 alphabets of the
| Roman script rather than more complex Asian scripts.
|
| "Installing an additional language like Hindi now needs a mere 15
| minutes (of internet connectivity) with a 256 kbps broadband
| connection," says Srivastava.
`----

http://www.tech2.com/india/news/general/open-source-computing-in-indian-languages/4810/0

Related:

BOSS Linux makes new users feel at home

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS Linux is a single-CD Debian-based distribution primarily designed
| for an Indian language user, though everything from the installer to
| the desktop defaults to English. BOSS 1.1, which was released last
| month by the Indian government-sponsored National Resource Center
| for Free/Open Source Software (NRCFOSS), includes several utilities
| and desktop enhancements, such as a document converter and the
| 3-D desktop Beryl, which make it a very usable distro, despite
| a few rough edges.
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/12/1631206&from=rss

BharateeyaOO.o: Enabling OpenOffice.org for India

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/bharateeyaooo.html