Re: Novell Slammed by Perens, Corrected (Set Straight) by FSF

  • Subject: Re: Novell Slammed by Perens, Corrected (Set Straight) by FSF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:30:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ cc ] on Wednesday 21 March 2007 11:28 \__

> On Mar 20, 10:45 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> __/ [ cc ] on Tuesday 20 March 2007 22:44 \__

>> > Where's the proof of this damage? You see Microsoft together with
>> > Linux and assume nothing good can come of it? Microsoft helped bail
>> > out Apple remember, and look where they are today. Not that they
>> > weren't helping themselves as well, but still.
>>
>> *LMOA*
>>
>> Bail out? Eliminating competing software suites? Technical sabotage and
>> illegal acts to pull the plug on Netscape? They choked Apple using crime.
>> How does guilt fit into this? Could Microsoft have seen the danger of
>> excessive backlash? Microsoft is more powerful than governments because
>> it's inclined to comply with no law and it is susciptible and subjected to
>> no regulation. Whenever it violates a law, it just bribes the right
>> people. And it has got the connections, all around the world (proxies,
>> lobbyists, pressure groups, and business partners).
>
> Do you have proof that they choked Apple using crime, or are you just
> spitting it out because it sounds nice? Sure Microsoft almost put
> Apple out of business, but Apple made a comeback(in part) because of
> Microsoft as well. The rest of that is just Rex Ballard paranoia talk.

Example:

Macs have Netscape. I know this because I used a Mac for over a year, but
Netscape just wouldn't play nice in today's Web. Why? Because Microsoft
hijacked the Web, elbowed Netscape, and added proprietary component to Web
sites. So, without IE, how can a Mac user even access the Web?

>> Don't pretend that Microsoft plays nice. It just spins the world any way
>> it desires. Allowing corporate power to reach the stage where even Novell
>> needs to sell Linux through Microsoft -- with Microsoft's 'permission' --
>> pretty much tells you the story, doesn't it? Everyone has a price.
>> Microsoft vacuums money by forcing people to use its products (no choice
>> available) and then using that money to continue the cycle of abuse.
>>

> I'm not pretending Microsoft plays nice. I'm not saying that the
> Novell deal was out of the kindness of their heart. They obviously
> expect to get something out of it too. But so far nothing bad has come
> of the Novell deal.

Microsoft's CEO has already stated that the deal was about IP. That was last
month.

> You're speculating about events that will probably
> never happen.

They already happened. Microsoft threatened vendors. There's also extortion,
namely request for 'protection money' from large Linux users.

> You see the word Microsoft and instantly form your crazy
> conspiracy theories about how they are trying to eliminate everything
> and take over the world. Once upon a time the US went into Iraq
> because it saw a connection to Al Qaeda and assumed that there must be
> WMDs. How did that work out?

No, that's self interest of American tycoons. It was possibly a ploy. No
speculation, but that's open to debate. Let's not discuss politics though.
:-)

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
  2:20pm  up 9 days 22:23,  8 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.20, 0.31