[News] Microsoft Loses Its MP3 Defense, Starts Patent Counter Attack

Judge rules against Microsoft in MP3 patent case

,----[ Quote ]
| Parallel to the jury's deliberations on the patents, Judge Rudi
| Brewster heard five separate defenses presented by Microsoft, and on
| Monday filed a ruling against four of them. Brewster wrote that
| "Lucent is the sole owner of the (MP3) reissue patents," and that
| "Microsoft is not entitled to any intervening rights."
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/judge-rules-against-microsoft-mp3/story.aspx?guid=%7BE2FF92C7%2D637B%2D4F44%2DA185%2DE4F166C4D04B%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/ynm3sn

Microsoft Says Alcatel Infringed Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. says French telecom equipment maker Alcatel-Lucent
| infringed on its patents for "unified communications" products, and
| the U.S. International Trade Commission on Tuesday voted to begin
| an investigation.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070320/microsoft_alcatel_lucent.html?.v=3

Here we go. Microsoft plays the patents card. Linux and Open Source win
nonetheless.

Related:

MP3's Loss, Open Source's Gain

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, with a cloud over the de facto industry standard, companies that
| rely on MP3 may finally have sufficient motivation to move on. And
| that raises some tantalizing possibilities, including a real long
| shot: Open-source, royalty-free formats win.
`----

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/music/0,72785-0.html?tw=wn_technology_1

You can taste the irony of Microsoft's patent positions on MP3 and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2419