[News] Research: Symbian's Top Threat is Linux, Not Windows

Nokia holds lead in smartphone market as Symbian enters battle with Linux,
says ABI Research

,----[ Quote ]
| ABI Research's new report, "Smartphones and the OS Market" found that
| there is a growing need to save on software bill of materials as handset
| ASPs continue to spiral downwards. This trend has been highlighted
| by Symbian's decision to lower its license fees, and by an
| increasing interest in Linux.
`----

http://www.tekrati.com/research/News.asp?id=8609

Related:

70 percent of smartphones use Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
|
| Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
| 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
`----

http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html

UIQ: to open or to open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| A move to open source by UIQ would also put Nokia under pressure
| to re-evaluate S60 software licence structures and fees. It
| would additionally provide the Symbian ecosystem with a rival
| to emerging open source, Linux-based handset platforms, which
| looks set to become increasingly potent forces over the
| next few years.
`----

http://www.ovum.com/news/euronews.asp?id=5437

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/