Re: Murphy: Vista Opened the Door to Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Windows Vista, The best thing that ever happened to Linux?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Linux was the obvious choice for the 366 megahertz 128 mb OLPC
> | laptop due to its open nature and ability to run on any virtually any
> | hardware. Millions of these units have been ordered by Countries
> | such as Nigeria and Libya and pretty soon there will be millions
> | of children around the world with Linux as their first
> | operating system.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Anyone who has ever used a modern version of Linux will find
> | nothing new feature-wise and OSX users will feel suspiciously
> | at home. It is garnering criticism from all parts for many
> | different reasons, with whole websites dedicated to Vista-Bashing
> | and Linux downloads on a steady worldwide climb. One could be
> | forgiven for thinking that there are just a whole lot of Linux
> | and Mac advocates out there trying to boycott Vista by
> | slandering it mindlessly. But the facts don't lie and the
> | evidence is plentiful.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | This title could be used to sum up the attitude of many in the Linux
> | community towards Vista at the moment. Every bad piece of press for
> | Vista is good for Linux and at the moment there's plenty for Linux
> | users to smile about.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxforums.org/misc/windows_vista,_the_best_thing_that_ev...http://tinyurl.com/3xlygv

I will have to agree with the assessment by Mr. Banks on these
issues.    Now that I have Kubuntu loaded, I am using it more and
more.  Ubuntu has done a nice job with the Debian distro, to provide a
user friendly interface.

FireFox does a nice job, I no longer need Internet Explorer to visit
any other sites so far, since it has gained acceptance overall in the
Internet world.

When the occasional rare site comes up and rejects non-IE sites, I
then use  Konqueror and use their "cloaking device" (Browser
Identification) to mimic Windows XP and IE 6.  So far, that has
worked.

Last night, I scanned in the Push-Up, reduced scale drawing from the
book, "How to Design and Build Flying Models" by late Keith Laumer,
Copyright 1960, 1970.  This book is no longer in print.  I used
Windows XP and my Lexmark X7170.  Later when I install the Lexmark
Linux drivers, I will post my success on that.  I did some initial
clean-up and stitching with Ulead PhotoImpact 4.2.  Although this
software is out-of-date, it still suits my needs.

Dual boot to Kubuntu, I accessed my XP Partition and brought up the
BMP drawing.  I used GIMP to clean up the drawing.  Using GIMP took a
little while as I am more familiar with PhotoImpact.

However, all the tools are there, transform, rotate, erase, etc.  I
don't know what all the complaints about how bad this software is
exists.  I used GIMP to clean up some digital photographs (crop,
correct perspective, tonality, contrast and brightness).  It does it
and does it well.

Back to Push-Up, originally, the reader was required to hand enlarge
this plan by redrawing to larger scale on paper.  Not Mr. Laumer nor
anyone else offered this plan for sale.  By cleaning up the graphic, I
can now take the bitmapped file to a printer and for a reasonable fee
have it printed, or import into AutoCAD, AutoSketch or other CAD
program and print as tiles and join.

This meets the intent of the original author and is within the fair
use for my personal intentions, to recreate this aeroplane.

Later when I have the chance, I may see if I can print in Qcad.  Once
when I have my Lexmark X7170 up and running, Sane scanner and all, and
Command and Conquer Last Decade ported (yes, and I legally purchased
the DVD), I will have little reason to resort to Windows, here on out.

--
HPT