[News] [Rival] Microsoft Patch Tuesday for 14 (Not 7) "Critical" Flaws

MS Patch Tuesday Fires Off 14 Critical Updates

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows customers should immediately apply the DNS update, Microsoft
| said, to avoid the possibility of remote attackers hijacking their systems.
|                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do We Really Need a Security Industry?

,----[ Quote ]
| Aftermarket security is actually a very inefficient way to spend our
| security dollars; it may compensate for insecure IT products, but
| doesn't help improve their security. Additionally, as long as IT
| security is a separate industry, there will be companies making
| money based on insecurity -- companies who will lose money if the
| internet becomes more secure.
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/05/securitymatters_0503

Schneier questions need for security industry

,----[ Quote ]
| "We shouldn't have to come and find a company to secure our e-mail.
| E-mail should already be secure. We shouldn't have to buy from
| somebody to secure our network or servers. Our networks and servers
| should already be secure."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6179500.html

Microsoft fixes nasty DNS server, Exchange flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| The Exchange update fixes previously undisclosed flaws in
| Microsoft's messaging software that could be exploited to
| seize control of the server, said Paul Zinski, director of
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| product and market strategy at PatchLink Corp.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070508/tc_infoworld/88368

Important Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista: KB931768

,----[ Quote ]
| Comments: Though not specifically for the core of Vista, all Vista
| releases include IE7, so it is relevant. Details also available in
| security bulletin MS07-027. Maximum rating is 'Critical', though that
| is probably for XP, as it is only listed as 'Important' on my
| machine.
`----

http://itsvista.com/2007/05/important-update-for-internet-explorer-7-in-windows-vista-kb931768/

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/