Re: [News] [Rival] Vista's Mail Client Already Dead?

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9018858&source=rss_news50

>>> One wonder how this affects exporters. Mail could be used as hostage,
>>> holding back those wishing to replace Windows with Linux.
>>>

>> You lost me there, how does changing the mail client offer a hostage
>> taking situation?
>

> I was thinking about migration utilities (e.g. Thunderbird's wizard).
> Microsoft is a moving target here. It would also not be surprising if
> there were some Windows and/or IE gotchas, especially with things like
> Silverlight being forcefed to the media. If they can't win the Web, they
> try to change it. Previously they just killed a company to achieve browser
> control. Then ActiveX and other grabage 'HTML'... now .NET...

I see what you mean, but actually I had that same trouble in Linux. Kmail
failed completely to import my kmail emails, so I tried to import them into
Evolution as an interim step, that failed too. What I had to do in the end
was ftp them to my host then import them into my mail on there as a new
folder.

It was that mess on that made me go 100% IMAP because then I'm not dependant
on any client.

>> Swapping to alternative email clients is very easy these days. But
>> actually since moving this company to a better host, I have found that
>> more of my users use a mixture of webmail and IMAP. I defaulted those
>> that I could to IMAP this time, because the bandwidth of our host is much
>> better than the previous host so there are very few occasions where
>> latency problems occur. So at home, out of the office or at work they use
>> webmail, as I walk arround (I do occasionally leave my office) I am
>> seeing more and more that open the webmail instead of their IMAP client.
>>
>> In this case the webmail client is Squirrel, I like horde and use that on
>> my own hosts. But Squirrel is nice and quick with easy-find features. I
>> think that more people will move towards webmail clients and IMAP, simply
>> because it means that they can get at the same emails/addressbook/sent
>> mails etc where ever they happen to be. It also works very well with PDAs
>> and mobile phones.
>

> For consistency, one could use SSH+X forwarding, if bandwidth permits. I
> recently moved all my 'Web-based' accounts to the native client. Much
> faster.

I did try to find hosts that allow X forwarding for other purposes, but it
is potentially so costly for them in bandwidth that they are reluctant,
though generally the dedicated server hosts do allow for that in the price.
To me xforwarding of desktops is a bit pointless, but individual
applications such as kate or kmail and others could be very usefull, I can
understand the hosts being reluctant though.